Sunday, May 6, 2007

300 and Iran

I thought I'd give my 2 cents about how Mahmoud Ahmadinejad was outraged with the movie 300 and how it wrongfully depicted Persians at the time.

First of all, you have to realise that 300 has absolutely no historical significance and is merely fiction. Granted, the Spartans existed and there was said to be a major battle that took place blah blah blah. However, the Persian representation in the movie is quite clearly nothing more than fiction. Saying that Hollywood used that movie as an act of provocation is just stupid.

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad does have a habit of saying a lot of stuff that makes little, or no sense. I do admire his courage and strong-hold stance towards the United States and Great Britain as far as political issues are concerned.. and to some extent, I admire his leadership abilities also but the whole thing about banning the movie from showing in theatres, thats just taking it too far. Most of my Iranian friends LOVED the movie to bits, while others found it too gory, but NOT ONE (and I have quite a bit of Iranian friends) hated the movie because Iranians were portrayed in a different light to what historical fact states. They know its just a movie. Its entertainment. If you like the idea, watch the movie. If you don't, then don't watch it; it really, really is as simple as that.

HT123

No comments: